UPDATE — Dorian became a hurricane on Wednesday. Click here for details, especially its threat to Florida as a major Category 3 storm.
Moving around taught me
“Everybody knows somebody in Florida”
“Every story has a Florida connection”
so this updating tropical weather article with graphic and text information on Tropical Storm Dorian from the National Hurricane Center is a courtesy to regular readers, in Philadelphia or not.
This page should update on its own, like ThePhillyFiles weather page, so keep returning to see changes. The National Hurricane Center often begins advisories with a list of what has changed since the previous one.
Full advisories come every six hours (5am, 11am, 5pm and 11pm using Eastern Daylight Time) and intermediate advisories come every three hours in between (8am, 2pm, 8pm, 2am).
And keep scrolling down for the video, How to use the Cone of Uncertainty.
Monitor the progress of Dorian and make sure to have your hurricane plan in place. Keep a week’s worth of the basic items you’ll need on hand throughout every hurricane season (June 1 through Nov. 30).
Continuing Coverage: Hurricane Dorian
- Hurricane Dorian off the Carolinas, Tropical Storm Warnings in New England Thurs., Sept. 5, 2019
- Hurricane Dorian off Georgia, Tropical Storm Watch extended to Delaware Wed., Sept. 4, 2019
- More watches, warnings for Florida and up the coast for Hurricane Dorian Tues., Sept. 3, 2019
- Hurricane Dorian to get ‘dangerously close’ to Florida, then other states Mon., Sept. 2, 2019
- Hurricane Dorian’s strength, size means ‘hit or miss’ matters little for Florida Sun, Sept. 1, 2019
- Center of Hurricane Dorian more likely to turn before hitting Florida Sat., Aug. 31, 2019
- Hurricane Warning for part of Bahamas as ‘extremely dangerous’ Dorian heads toward Florida Fri., Aug. 30, 2019
- Hurricane Dorian to intensify, be ‘extremely dangerous’ in Florida Thurs., Aug. 29, 2019
- Hurricane Dorian expected to intensify, threaten Florida as a Category 3 Wed., Aug. 28, 2019
- The latest: Tropical Storm Dorian Tues., Aug. 27, 2019
The latest on Tropical Storm Dorian:
And there’s more: At 11pm Tuesday, Tropical Depression 6 became Tropical Storm Erin. It should remain well off the U.S. coast.
VIDEO: How to use the Cone of Uncertainty
- 4 hurricanes in 6 weeks? It happened to one state in 2004. (Hint: I was there, reporting on them all, and also the following year, when the National Hurricane Center ran out of letters for storm names, and used six from the Greek alphabet.)
- Wikipedia: 2004 Atlantic hurricane season
- Wikipedia: 2005 Atlantic hurricane season