1st suspect in 2-year-old girl’s killing charged, 2nd suspect caught

PHILADELPHIA — Philadelphia police have confirmed “a second male suspect is in custody” after Sunday’s deadly shooting of a two-year-old girl inside her Kensington home.

Late Wednesday afternoon, police said that suspect is being held

“on unrelated charges. He has not yet been formally charged, so we cannot identify him at this point. This remains a highly active and fluid investigation.”

CHARGED: Freddie Perez, from Philadelphia Police Department

Late Tuesday night, police announced they caught the first suspect in Chester, Delaware County.

He has been identified as Freddie Perez, 30 of Chester, and according to Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner, Perez is charged with Nikolette Rivera’s murder, nine counts of attempted murder, two counts of conspiracy to commit murder and Violation of the Uniform Firearms Act.

ThePhillyFiles searched Perez’s background and found several incidents of trouble with the law in Philadelphia from 2007 to 2015. The charges were mostly drug-related. In mid-2010, Perez plea bargained a three-to-six year sentence, but apparently served just over two months.

Philadelphia Municipal Court Docket Sheets

Perez was also sentenced to six months of probation in late 2013 for Criminal Solicitation – Patronizing Prostitutes.

Common Pleas Court Docket Sheets

Police had said on Sunday, at about 3:30pm, officers responded to the crime scene in the home on the 3300 block of N. Water Street in Kensington.

Two-year-old victim Nikolette Rivera’s mother and grandmother were having the home’s carpets cleaned, and watching several small children.

That’s when people outside

“opened fire with an assault rifle through the front door and front windows, striking all three victims and leaving six identifiable bullet holes in the front of the structure.”

Young Nikolette was pronounced dead at the scene. Her 24-year-old mother had been holding her at the time.

The mother was hit by a bullet in her left arm, and suffered a graze wound to her head. The third victim was a 33-year-old man cleaning carpets inside. He was shot in his abdomen, and listed in critical-but-stable condition.

Detectives and crime scene unit workers recovered six 7.62×39 fired rifle casings in the street, directly in front of the house.

But Krasner, in his news release, referred to Perez’s

“role in two Sunday afternoon shootings.”

The first actually happened eight minutes earlier on the 400 block of E. Clearfield Street and detectives had been looking into a possible connection.

In the earlier shooting, several blocks east, police said two

“males opened fire on a black SUV using an assault rifle and a .40 caliber handgun. Detectives recovered ten 7.62×39 fired rifle casings and one .40 caliber FCC [fired cartridge casing].”

A comparison could confirm the connection. Krasner did not specifically touch on the earlier shooting, but asked anyone with information “about these shootings” to call the Philadelphia police tip line.

Krasner said of police in a news release,

“Their diligence and swift work ensured Freddie Perez was brought into custody within days, and that we now have additional evidence to start to bring closure to this investigation.”


Something on your mind? Let everyone know!

%d bloggers like this: